By: Lilly Joynes | Comments Off on Recap: 2019 Annual Meeting | View: 1987
More than 250 community members came out to celebrate Oregon’s creative industry at OMPA’s Annual Meeting on January 28 at the Hollywood Theatre. We were treated to an inspirational array of member work, speeches, and news about what’s ahead for our organization and industry. Here are some of the things you should know…
Looking Ahead: Major Announcements
Expanding Member Mail Distribution
In an effort to inform a wider community of people, we will be opening the weekly Member Mail distribution to our full subscriber list next week. That means triple the eyes on our members’ news and projects – but still an exclusive member right to submit.
New SOFaM-OMPA Partnership
Our friends from Southern Oregon Film & Media are joining the OMPA family! SOFaM membership will soon merge with OMPA, giving their members access to all of the benefits of OMPA membership.
As an organization, SOFaM is rebranding as Film Southern Oregon to better promote the Southern region as a shooting location, connect producers to incentives and permitting, and promote local crews through OMPA’s regionally-sorted SourceOregon directory. OMPA will continue to serve as the statewide membership organization that advocates for, connects, and promotes Oregon’s media production industry.
Our partnership kick-off event is planned for February 27 at Copper Studios in Medford.
If you’re a SOFaM member, you’ll be hearing from OMPA soon with more details and instructions about your membership and directory listings.
2019 Awards of Excellence Winners
Rising Star Award
Das Leune and Sika Stanton
Das, an aspiring producer, and Sika, Digital Utility, served as mentees in OMPA’s pilot diversity mentorship program. They successfully completed work on Documentary Now! and were invited to join many of the same crew on their next production, Shrill.
Service & Inspiration Award
As a Producer at Wieden+Kennedy, Tiffany spearheads a program to help empower her female colleagues through mentorship, job shadows, and panels. She is an active fundraiser and participant in many community organizations, and is an inaugural member of OMPA’s Diversity Committee.
Industry Champion Award
Charlie just retired from a long tenure as the Southern Business Agent for IATSE Local #488; he’s been with them since their start in 1992. He has been a tireless champion of working film technicians and played a key role in the expansion of Oregon’s film incentive program.
Award of Excellence
Schuyler is an Emmy award-winning production and graphics designer known for his work on Portlandia, Mad Men, and Parks & Recreation. His work leading Portlandia’s Art Department helped him earn a stack of Art Directors Guild design awards. Unfortunately he wasn’t able to attend the event, so the picture above is of him accepting one of his many other awards.
2019 OMPA Board of Directors
Your board of directors works incredibly hard to guide the direction of OMPA. They’re all top-notch professionals who are incredibly smart, passionate about our mission, and supportive of OMPA staff.
Please welcome back for the second year of their term:
- Angela Geier: LAIKA Recruiter
- Robin Hewitt: Independent Production Accountant
- Matthew Barish: Director of Operations & Production at Bent Image Lab
- Jacqueline Gault: Independent Producer
The following board members were re-elected to serve another 2-year term:
- Michael Koerner: Owner of Koerner Camera Systems
- Roland Gauthier: Hinge Co-Founder and Executive Producer, OMPA Board President
- Patty Brebner: Producer at Wieden+Kennedy
- David Cress: Independent Producer
- Jerry Bell Jr.: Multi-talented owner of JBJR Productions (writer, director, producer, actor)
- Neil Kopp: Co-founder/Producer at filmscience
- Josh Lunden: Director of Multimedia at Pollinate
- Noah Stanik: Executive Producer in Nike’s Global Brand Studio
- James Westby: Independent Filmmaker/Director
Please congratulate these newly elected board members:
- cdavid cottrill: Southern Business Agent for IATSE Local #488, Prop Master
- Tawny Schlieski: VR Producer and Research Scientist at Shovels + Whiskey, Founder/President of Oregon Story Board
New this year, we are also welcoming two ex officio board members to better represent our membership around the state. These individuals will serve a 1-year term:
- Sandy Henderson, Central Oregon
- Twanissa Cox, Southern Oregon
Let us know what you think! Tell us who you’d like to hear from, what you’d like to learn about, and any other ideas you have for OMPA events.
- 1 pass to the Portland Creative Conference: Lara Cuddy
- 2 screening tickets to the McMinnville Short Film Festival: Bob Wadden
- 4 screening tickets to Portland International Film Festival: Thomas Trieu
- 4 screening tickets to Portland International Film Festival: Harold Phillips
(If you haven’t already heard from us, we’ll be reaching out to giveaway winners soon with instructions on claiming your tickets.)
All photos in this post are by Michael Ingram, except the photo of Schuyler Telleen.
Members: Submit your work for our 2019 Annual Meeting highlight reel!